Tuesday 2 July 2013

Look Within....

Look Within? I think I've come over all deep and meaningful.....!!
Another fabulous phrase from the Remnant Rub ons set....and for once it was the rub ons that started the project, rather than me looking for words to match up afterwards. 'Look Within' seemed to suggest something deep, so I thought a niche would be perfect! I used an Artemio 10 x 10 frame for this project, something I would usually use the other way around as the flat surface is just perfect for painting and stamping on. This time I needed the niche!
I started off by covering both the frame and my small wooden heart with old book pages, very messy but I love doing this as the subtle text look under the paint is fab! Once dry, i gave it a wash of gesso. This tones down the yellow shades of the pages to a nice even white base upon which to add the colour. Now, colour! It won't have escaped your notice that this isn't a usual 'Trish' colour scheme! It's the old comfort zone thing.....I'm playing along with this weeks Mixed Media Colour Challenge to push me in a different direction!
I gave the frame a light sponging with pale pink and peach paint, then dried it off. I used some texture paste through a harlequin stencil along on side and one edge, and once dried sponged that too!
I added stamped black splats, dots and swirls...
And then made sure it was grunged up slightly by edging the whole thing in black...
The wooden heart was given a wash of yellow paint, then covered in Rock Candy crackle paint. The dried crackles were scribbled over with black distress marker, which I then removed with a soft cloth. This leaves a nice grungy black highlight in the crackles!
Once the Rub On words were applied, I glued the heart in place.
I took the very delicate and feminine colour scheme and went grungy with it.....!
Can't wait to see what others make of this palette, why don't you join in too!
Trish xxx







12 comments:

  1. Wow. Beautiful. The colours work so well and the yellow heart just pulls you in. The more you look the more you see. Fab x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous project Trish! I love the crackled surface on the heart and pretty textured frame! Thanks so much for joining along with A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool mixed media project!!! Thanks for sharing the steps!!! We both thought in yellow hearts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish, I can see how that sentiment inspired you! LOVE the frame and the crackled heart! The perfect amount of grunge! THX for playing with us at A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous and love that crackled heart! Yummy! Trace x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on phrase & congrats on top 3!! Can see this featuring again, really cool how you used colours (I am struggling with this one but seeing yours makes me realise I can use black?).
    I missed/got wrong deadline for last & was sad as I had done a piece. Hey ho...

    Really cool frame, loving the mixed media part & black scroll like pattern, brings the other colours out!! Of course having heart 'within' draws eye too.
    Take care... :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful... the delicate colours and textures on the frame are delicious - and yes, the embedded heart is perfect with the phrase!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love this box - how you've painted it - and that wonderful crackled heart nestled inside the frame!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to write me a message...it means a lot! xxxxx