Wednesday 13 November 2013

Got Ink?

......is the title of the challenge this week over at the Simon Says Monday Challenge blog!
And, yes, yes I do, thank you for asking!
I used some for the background in this panel...
I've used Acrylic Drawing inks for this, love them lots! As the inks are acrylic, they're permanent once dry. This means you can layer them without them mixing to a muddy mess. Also, if you add paint on top, it won't react and change the paint colour. Sometimes adding white paint stencilling (for example) over dye ink sprays can result in the white paint tinting slightly, and losing the bright white look. Not the case if you use acrylic inks!
I used just three colours of Daler Rowney inks (you can find some here). I dripped a little bit onto regular cardstock, squirted with water to make the ink flow slightly, then dried it off. Then I simply repeated this with each colour in turn. Once the card was covered, I brayered over it with white paint, both to tone down the very dark areas, and to give a little texture. When the paint was dry, I went over it in places with more ink, resulting in a layered, inky look....
I stamped a little around the edges, and sprinkled on white UTEE in places. once melted, this gives a great splatter effect...
As you can see, I did some stitching too!
My image is a nice mixture of very old and very new stamps!
I have had this Peddlers Pack stamp of the little girl for getting on for 8 years, and it's still a favourite! She is standing on a film strip edging stamp that just arrived this morning, brand new from Kaiserkraft! This could easily become a very useful addition to the stamp collection!
I've printed a few circles, and added an old book phrase just to finish off.
The other great thing about acrylic inks is that they scrub off your hands very easily, so I'm all clean and raring to get going on a Christmas project or two! See you soon!
Trish xxx





11 comments:

  1. Trish...once again you have created a uniquely wonderful piece. I love the background you created using the acrylic inks. I have GOT to see if we have those around here. I love your results and reading about their being permanent after drying is great...especially if wanting to cover with white stencils. :) Thanks for that tip. Really a lovely background. The way you finished it out is so sweet. I love the stamping, the sentiment and the little girl image. Thanks for sharing your art and the steps with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, wow Trish I think this is simply breathtaking! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish another masterpiece, great work with those inks!
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trish, absolutely stunning backdrop. The inks blend beautifully and what a striking colour palette too. I love the touches of white too and the added circles. The image sits perfectly on the new Kaisercraft film strip. That looks a useful stamp. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish, this is gorgeous! I love your Peddler's Pack stamp, but it's that inky background that steals the show. Fabulous! Thanks for sharing your process too. Great tips! I'm so glad that you joined us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. Thank you! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool piece! And I learned something new about acrylic inks. Now I needs to get me some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish, I love the texture that you've achieved with the brayering. Looks so good and I agree with you about using acrylic inks, the watercolour inks definitely do affect white paint. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow! I just stumbled across your blog (lucky me)! I was floored by your aesthetic and love the way you combine colors and images! No color phobias here! I adore this piece and am still scrolling back to stare at it. Really beautiful and it was sheer joy to peruse your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your majorly mega talents with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work! I just love all of the layers and details! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp and Show Monday Challenge Blog!!! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Love the colorful layers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trish! Yay! I'm so happy that your piece ways chosen to be recognized on our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge spotlight! It's a beautiful piece! Congrats! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to write me a message...it means a lot! xxxxx