Tuesday 1 October 2013

She almost smiled....

Hello!
Its the start of the month today, so that means it's time for a new challenge over at A Little Bit Crafty!
This months theme is 'A Little Bit Shabby'......so for me that means getting all pink and Krafty! One of our sponsors this month is The Octopode Factory, so may I present Miss Freya....
Now, whilst some of the Octopode collection have been made into rubber stamps (yippee!), the whole collection is available as digital images. And yes, I HAVE used a digi stamp for this creation! How? well, a little bit of image transfer magic...... I'll show you!
First, create your background. This needs to be waterproof (you'll see why in a minute!), so acrylic paint is perfect. I've done my usual painty layers....

You need to make the place where you want your image quite light, just so you can see the lines! If the background is too dark, you won't see the image. Next print off your image. This method is not like other image transfer techniques, you just use regular paper, regular ink in your regular printer! No messing about with laser copies, photo paper and all that, just bog standard copy paper and an ink jet printer.
Now, there are two ways of trimming the image. It all depends on the pic you have chosen. If the pic has a word, or a title, or a logo, in fact anything printed that you DON'T want transferred, then you have to cut it off. This image had her name next to her, so I had to go for the close trimming option.....
I actually find it much easier to transfer when the paper is larger. If my image had just been Freya without any words or logos, then I would have cut the pic the same size as the background!
Next step.... coat the place where your image is to go with Mod Podge. Don't leave gaps or this won't work!
I've used matte Podge, glossy or satin works too. PVA glue doesn't!!!! Place your image print side down onto the glue.
At this point I should say your images will be 'flipped' once done. Words will therefore come out backwards, unless you do that mirror image thing with your computer to the image BEFORE you print it out! I don't mind Freya looking the other way to which it was intended, in fact I prefer it!
The next thing is to burnish the image, that is to press down smoothly and firmly all over so the image is adhered evenly. I generally use a bone folder or the back of a spoon. This is why I prefer a large bit of paper! It is soooo much easier to burnish a large bit of paper than a fussy cut image. Less tearing potential!
Now you need to be patient. The glue has to be absolutely, 100% dry, so leave it for 24 hours.....

Dry? yay! Now the magic.... Spritz the back of the image with water.. (this is why your background needs to be waterproof!)
As the paper soaks up the water, the image will start to appear. Once the paper is thoroughly wet (but not dripping!), take a soft cloth (dry babywipes are perfect) and start to rub off the paper. Rub in tiny, circular motions. You'll see the paper start to ball up, and once you've brushed that off, the image should be revealed....
The general idea is that the ink has somehow fused into the Mod Podge, so if you get rid of the paper, the ink is left embedded in the glue. Or something......
Once your paper is removed, you have the image with the background showing through...
If you had used a large bit of paper, this is still the end result, it just would have taken you longer to remove all the wet paper bits!
Now to embellish.....
Lace and buttons...
Ribbons....
Rolled paper roses...
And lots of lovely painty layers!
I added a phrase I found in an old book...seems to sum her up!
Hope you like her...and hope I've shown you image transfer doesn't have to involve complicated 'stuff'! Also, messy crafters like me can still use digi stamps and put our own spin on them!!
Please join in this month with 'A Little Bit Shabby'... we'd love to have you!
Trish xxxxxxx












3 comments:

  1. Love this piece! And the transfer technique certainly sounds easier than some out there. I'll give this one a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love this, fab colours and image with the perfect sentiment -great technique too! Suz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's simply fabulous Trish! Jo x

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to write me a message...it means a lot! xxxxx