Saturday 21 January 2012

Brangles!!

Yes, that IS a word!!! A cross between a bracelet and a bangle, in fact. As I have my first jewellery event of the year looming, I thought I'd better leave the messy stuff and get some stock built up. If you don't make it, you can't sell it eh?!!!
So, first on the list were some brangles....... the 'bangle' part is a length of thick wire, that the beads, spacers and coils are threaded onto. Loops made in the ends, and then chain and a clasp can be added. The thick wire can be gently shaped to the contours of the wrist, and the clasp gives added security so it won't come off!
Choosing the right beads for these is essential, as the wire used is thick (I used 1.6mm copper wire). Most beads simply don't have holes big enough! I use pairs or orphan Lampwork beads that I have accumulated over the past few years. These are made on thicker mandrels, so the wire will easily go through. I have to admit I don't know who made the green-ish beads in the first pic, for some reason my system of keeping business cards with the beads so they are identifiable has gone wrong! The name Wendy rings a bell......anyway, the beads in the other were created by two of my favourite bead makers, Julie Fountain of Lush Lampwork , and Kaz Baildon of Cheeky Cherub Designs . I have to say, the beads I've used are soooo not representative of their main creations, these are just spacer beads! Go check out their web sites to see the gorgeousness on offer!
What, you want to see them rather than read my waffling?!!! OK....
Both brangles were oxidised by me, then polished back up slightly, to give the antiqued look. I did actually make a whole load of them, but that'd be too much of the same kind of thing to show you!!
After I made these, I taught myself to make Shamballa bracelets. Which wasn't good thing as now I have a list from my daughters detailing their requirements! Better get busy then.....
love Trish xx

1 comment:

  1. WoWzA, these are gorgeous!!! You are so talented ... I'm in complete awe! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to write me a message...it means a lot! xxxxx